Orthodontics for Our Youngest Patients
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends a visit to a trusted orthodontist at the age of seven. “That seems pretty young,” some of you may be thinking, but it really is the best possible time! When a child is about seven, he or she has a good mix of baby and adult teeth, which allows Dr. Hutta or Dr. Price to see the relationship of the teeth to one another as well as appraise the developing jaw.
If Your Child is a Candidate for Early Treatment
In some cases, an orthodontist may notice a problem that needs to be addressed with a treatment plan. A couple of the treatment plans our team may develop might include:
- Help permanent teeth come in straight via jaw alignment correction
- Alleviate crowding by creating more space for teeth
Because most children look a little goofy when their teeth are in the transition phase between baby to adult, it can be difficult to tell if their orthodontic health is at risk. That’s why bringing your child in when he or she turns seven is a safe, proactive way to make sure your son or daughter is on the right track for orthodontic health.
Signs Your Child Might Need to See an Orthodontist
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty chewing or biting food
- Mouth breathing
- Excessive finger or thumb sucking
- Crowded, misplaced, or blocked teeth
- Jaws that pop or make sounds when opening and closing
- Teeth that come together abnormally, or not at all
The best care is proactive care! We strongly encourage all our parents to schedule an appointment for their little one’s first orthodontic check-up around age seven. Early diagnosis and treatment can prevent more serious orthodontic problems in the future.
We look forward to meeting you and your family here at Hutta & Price Orthodontics!