Orthodontic Care for Adults
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21. The importance of receiving orthodontic care when necessary doesn’t go away as you get older, and here at James T. Hutta Orthodontics, we’re committed to giving the best and brightest smiles to everyone, from our littlest patients to our wisest patients.
Common Reasons to Get Orthodontic Treatment as an Adult
- You have an uncomfortable or painful bite. When teeth don’t fit together correctly, this can cause a whole host of complications.
- You have crowding or, conversely, teeth with too much space between them. These are conditions that can lead to tooth decay or gum disease.
- You have an uncomfortable or painful pressure caused by a crooked tooth or crooked teeth.
- You desire a healthier, more confident smile.
Our Treatment Options for Adults
Our practice offers a variety of options for adults who seek to straighten their smile. Dr. Hutta, Dr. Price, and their team are experts at working with patients to decide together the best course for each individual, and our options for our patients are listed below:
- Clear braces
- Ceramic braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Lingual (behind the tooth) braces
- Invisible braces
- Traditional metal braces
What Makes Adult Orthodontics Different
While the jawbones of our children and teen patients are still developing, these bones have stopped growing in our adult patients. This means that treatments such as orthognathic surgery may be desirable to align jawbones that have developed and set incorrectly. The following is a short list of other conditions that make adults good candidates for orthodontic care and treatment.
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — “Peri” means around and “dontal” refers to teeth. This gum disease is an infection that affects the structures around the teeth and should be addressed by our office.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time, teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, and create a bad bite and increase the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment in the past, but never completed their treatment. Choosing to complete that treatment as an adult is a great way to achieve orthodontic health and a beautiful smile.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — First impressions matter, and you’ll be sure always to leave a great one when you flash a Hutta smile!
- Untreated orthodontic problems will get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term health issues as well as costly emergency care bills.
Please contact our practice to learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics and to schedule your appointment today!