This is the time of year to gather with family, cherish those close to you, and eat giant helpings of food. But as you know, not all those foods are friendly to your braces. We’re here to help you navigate those waters, because even though we love seeing you in the office, we’re quite sure you don’t want to make an appointment for a broken bracket.
Here’s our holiday food Naughty & Nice list:
- CANDY CANES: Licking is fine, but biting is not. Hard and sticky is a bad combo for your lovely smile.
- CARAMEL: If that brownie or fruit is topped with caramel, it’s best to avoid it. And, if it’s any kind of brittle—run for the hills.
- NUTS: Nuts are delicious, but tend to get stuck where you don’t want them. Crunchy, hard bits are not friendly to your braces.
- POPCORN: Popcorn husks can really be a pain if they get stuck in your braces. And be sure to steer clear of caramel corn.
- ICE CREAM: As long as it doesn’t have nuts or sticky things swirling through it, you’re good to go.
- PIE: Pumpkin pie, apple pie, cherry pie or any of the fruit pies are fine. Just make sure you stay away from pecan pie, or any pie with a sticky filling.
- FUDGE: Yes, please.
- CAKE: Beware of spice cakes, including carrot cake. They have a tendency to contain nuts.
- MEAT & THINGS: Most of the food you’ll see on your holiday table is perfectly fine to eat with your braces. Turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, or stuffing—no worries. Just try not to gnaw on the drumstick bone.
Remember, it’s perfectly fine to indulge a bit during the holiday season, but don’t neglect your teeth! Continue to brush and clean those braces regularly. You can dive into that vat of caramel next year.