Drs. Hutta and Price, along with our team, know that changing your lifestyle while you have braces may be a bit of a hassle. You’ll need to spend extra time on your hygiene routine, avoid some of your favorite foods, and be careful not to damage your braces and appliances. However, by following our advice, your orthodontic treatment will be successful and finish on time.
Tips for Success
Brush and Floss: Ideally, you’ll want to brush and floss after every meal. Pay special attention to the areas between each bracket and the gum line. Using a floss threader will make flossing easier and faster, too!
Get a Mouthguard: If you play sports, always wear a protective mouthguard to keep your teeth and your brackets safe.
Wear Your Appliances: Your teeth and jaw can only move into their correct positions if you consistently wear the rubber bands, headgear, retainer, or other appliances prescribed by Drs. Hutta and Price.
Eating with Braces
We know it's hard to give up foods you love, but sticky and hard food can damage your brackets and lead to issues and a longer treatment. We'd hate to see that happen!
Here are foods to avoid:
- Chewy foods — bagels, licorice
- Crunchy foods — popcorn, chips, ice
- Sticky foods — caramel candies, chewing gum
- Hard foods — nuts, hard candies
- Foods that require biting into — corn on the cob, apples, carrots
Don’t worry; there are many foods you CAN eat with braces:
- Dairy — soft cheese, pudding, milk-based drinks
- Breads — soft tortillas, pancakes, muffins without nuts
- Grains — pasta, soft cooked rice
- Meats/poultry — soft cooked chicken, meatballs, lunch meats
- Seafood — tuna, salmon, crab cakes
- Vegetables — mashed potatoes, steamed spinach, beans
- Fruits — applesauce, bananas, fruit juice
- Treats — ice cream without nuts, milkshakes, Jell-O, soft cake
If you ever have questions about your braces or how to take care of them, don’t hesitate to contact our Gahanna, OH orthodontic office and ask a member of our team. We’re here to make your orthodontic experience as pleasant as possible.